This simple tomato soup recipe is perfect for a cold rainy day, a crisp fall day or even on a cool spring day. This tomato soup is so easy to prepare and a sure winner for even hard to please family or dinner guests.
- 28 ounce can organic crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- black pepper to season
- crushed red pepper to season
- fresh basil chopped
- Warm the olive oil on medium heat in a large pot. Add the chopped onion and saute’ for 5-6 minutes until softened stirring occasionally on low to medium heat. Add small amounts of vegetable stock if needed to keep the onion from sticking to the bottom of the pot. One the onion has softened, add the chopped garlic and saute’ for about 1 minute.,
- Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, oregano, salt, bay leaves, and some black pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and add the sugar. Carefully, puree the soup in a blender then return to the pot to keep hot for serving.
- Season the soup with pepper and crushed red pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and top with chopped basil. Tastes extra delicious when served with homemade toasted bread.
Did you know that adding herbs, such as oregano have medicinal healing properties? Oregano has anti-oxidants and assists with keeping the immune system strong. Perhaps add an oregano plant to your window sill for fresh herbs. Gaia Herbs provides an informative description of oregano and its healing properties.