Here is a simple veggie & tofu grinder recipe that is abundant in flavor, colors, and nutrients. It includes broccoli, carrots, tofu, and brown rice which are packed with nutrients( (check out the list below) and it is both filling and satisfying. What I like about this recipe, is that it includes vegetables, whole grains, and legumes, three types of whole foods.
Conscious Nibbling Tip: With each bite think about all of the nutrients providing nourishment to each cell of your body from these foods:
- Broccoli: fiber, protein, calcium, folate, vitamin C, Vitamin K, anti-oxidants
- Carrots: fiber, protein, beta-carotene, potassium, Vitamin K, anti-oxidants
- Brown Rice: protein, fiber, B-vitamins, manganese, selenium, iron, copper
- Tofu: protein, fiber, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous
- 1 -1 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice (chilled is best)
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 4 – 6 ounces of cubed tofu
- Water or vegetable broth
- Low-sodium tamari
- Whole wheat pita bread (optional)
- Optional: 1-2 ounces shredded cheese
Check out this 1-minute video on how to cook perfect brown rice!
- Warm a medium-sized skillet to medium heat, add a small amount of vegetable broth or water and add the tofu. Brown on one side for 5-7 minutes, turn over and brown the other side. Add more water or vegetable broth (1 tablespoon as time) as needed to keep from sticking. May also use a small amount of ghee in place of water/vegetable broth. When browned on both sides, remove from the pan and place it on a side dish.
- Add the diced carrots to the pan and saute adding small amounts of vegetable broth or water as needed. Once softened, add the chopped broccoli and saute.
- Add the cooked brown rice and tofu and a small amount of water or vegetable broth. Once the mixture is warm, add the tamari and flavor to taste. If adding shredded cheese, add at this time.
- Enjoy as-is or stuff into a whole wheat pita bread
This beautiful veggie and tofu grinder can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days. It is a perfect option for lunch the next day to keep your energy sustained for the day. Recommend reheating on the stovetop versus in the microwave. Looking for another vegetable tofu recipe? Try this Vegan Fried Rice recipe.
Let me know what you think of the recipe and if you had it as a sandwich or not!