Beautiful and highly nutritious salad with greens, veggies, legumes, whole grains, and seeds.
- 8 cups mixed greens choose arugula, kale, swiss chard, spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped organic cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- 3/4 cup chickpeas or edamame
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tbsp pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
add the mixed greens to salad bowl
add the cucumber, carrots, cherry tomatoes, red cabbage and toss gently
add the quinoa or brown rice, beans or edamame
add basil, salt & pepper
add fresh squeezed lemon
sprinkle the seeds on top
Why are some ingredients organic? Edamame is often genetically modified, unless organic. Kale, spinach, and cherry tomatoes are on the "Dirty Dozen" list of produce high in pesticides, and therefore organic is recommended. Check out Environmental Working Groups's shopper's guide to pesticides in produce.
LEMON FOR DRESSING?
You might be wondering where is the salad dressing, however, have you ever tried freshly squeezed lemon on a salad? It is so refreshing and delicious without adding a processed dressing or oil. Give it a try!
Check out what is in your refrigerator and you might find a yummy add-in for the salad. Here are some of my favorites:
- Sliced avocado
- Homemade guacamole
- Pesto (pesto is non-vegan unless purchase or make your own vegan pesto)
- Fresh cilantro